Barbara V. Melendez
136 East South Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
T (801) 989-5704
Barbara Melendez received her Bachelor of Science degree from Weber State University. She earned her Juris Doctor from the J. Reuben Clark School of Law at Brigham Young University.
"I would like to give a special thank you to BARBARA MELENDEZ, the most amazing immigrations attorney there is! If anybody is in need of a remarkable immigrations attorney who is renowned and recognized and respected worldwide (also a wonderful and caring human being) please inbox me and i will send you her contact" - Alex Boye
Read more HERE.
Click here to download a vCard for Barbara Melendez!
Ms. Melendez is a partner at Kuck Immigration Partners, LLC. She brings with her vast experience in the area of immigration law. Prior to joining Kuck Immigration Partners, she was a shareholder at Kirton McConkie where she served as the section head for the firm’s Immigration Section.
Her practice focuses primarily on immigration and employer/immigration compliance matters. She represents multi-national corporations, educational institutions, religious organizations and employers on all immigration related matters. Ms. Melendez represents clients on inter-company transfers, all temporary and permanent work visas, investment visas, including working with counsel around the world to help U.S. companies on cross-border employment issues.
Ms. Melendez, represents individuals and their families before the Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services, Immigration Customs and Enforcement as well as the Department of Labor, Board of Immigration Appeals, and in federal court.
She represents foreign nationals as well as their respective agents or employers on:
- Worksite Enforcement: Advises companies about all aspects of complying with federal and state employment eligibility verification laws (Form I-9, E-Verify, and IMAGE), worksite enforcement, and Social Security “No-Match” letters. Conducts internal audits for companies, evaluates their compliance with such laws, and helps them develop and implement workable compliance plans, training programs, and “Best Practices” to employ a legal workforce. Represents companies that are being investigated and targeted by the United States government for compliance audits and other worksite enforcement actions, including administrative, criminal, and federal contractor debarment proceedings. Has successfully negotiated lower administrative and criminal fines, lower criminal penalties, and alternatives to debarment. Experienced in helping general contractors in the construction industry implement workable I-9 compliance plans for them and their subcontractors. Performs independent I-9 compliance audits.
- Temporary Work Visas: work visas for United States companies who need to employ foreign workers temporarily, including E-3, H-1B, H-1B (Chile), H-1B (Singapore), H-2A, H-2B, J-1, L-1ª, L-1B, Blanket L, O, P, R-1, and TN temporary worker visas. Other Worker, and Religious Worker categories.
- Permanent Work Visas: Lawful Permanent Resident status (“Green Card”) for foreign workers employed permanently by United States companies under the Outstanding Researcher and Professor, Multinational Manager and Executive, Alien of Exceptional Ability, National Interest Waiver, Member of the Professions Holding Advanced Degrees, Professional, Skilled Worker.
- Foreign Investors: Advises Foreign investors regarding the requirements for securing temporary and permanent visas through investing in the United States. These opportunities generally include E-1 and E-2 visas and Green Cards through the Employment Creation (EB-5) category.
- Individuals– Helps individuals and their family members secure permanent immigration status in the United Staes, including:
- Family-based Green Card petitions;
- Adjustment of status and consular processing;
- Waivers ;
- Voluntary departure, cancellation of removal, political asylum, and other forms of relief before the Immigration Court and the Board of Immigration Appeals;
- United States citizenship;
- Educational Institutions: Advises charter schools, school districts, colleges, universities, and their foriegn faculty, staff, and students regarding immigration-related issues.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND AWARDS
Ms. Melendez is a former adjunct Professor of Immigration Law at Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School and is a frequent lecturer on immigration issues. She is on several advisory boards including the Salt Lake Chamber’s Immigration Task Force and has been appointed by Governor Herbert as a member of Utah’s Commission on Immigration and Migration. As noted in Utah Business Magazine, she was recognized as one of the top Hispanic leaders and has appeared as one of the selected Women to Watch in the State of Utah.
She has been consistently listed one of Utah’s Legal Elite in Immigration law. Nationally, she has been recognized by Best Lawyers as one of the “Best Lawyers” in the field of immigration.
Ms. Melendez is fluent in Spanish and Portuguese.
Ms. Melendez has lectured extensively on the topic of immigration and nationality law, worksite enforcement, I-9 forms, E-Verify, compliance issues and related topics at national and local conferences, seminars, webinars, workshops for trade associations, companies, HR personnel, attorneys organizations and community groups.
Return to top