Republican Senators Kyl, Hutchinson and McCain have introduced a terrible version of the DREAM Act called the “Achieve Act”. http://tinyurl.com/bumbsmy
This bill is a counterfeit form of the immigration relief that kids really need. The bill gives a “W” visa, good for two years, to work and study, to kids but does NOT lead to permanent legal status. The qualifications are as follows:
- Must have entered the U.S. prior to age 14;
- Must be under the age of 29 on day of enactment, or under the age of 32 if individual has a college degree;
- Must have 5 years continuous presence on day of enactment;
- Must possess a High school diploma or GED on day of enactment;
- Must have Good moral character, no felonies, not more than one misdemeanor with a jail term of 30 days with certain exceptions, no crimes of “moral turpitude” and no final order of removal (no exceptions for driving without a license); and
- A $525 fee!
This bill will NOT pass. And, we can demand real immigration reform. This bill is not even as good as the DACA initiated by Obama. And certainly is a pale imitation to the Real DREAM Act written by Republican Senator Orin Hatch many years ago. Let’s demand that Democrats propose some real alternatives so that we can actual debate on immigration reform, NOW, during the lame duck session. We do not need to settle for dirty legislative bathwater.